Monday, April 16, 2012

 We got to catch up with Nylon Magazine's Dani Stahl this week to learn a little more about her background in fashion. She is keeping busy these days proclaiming she's a "jack of many fashion trades", and that she is!  Dani is the Red carpet designer for Lia Sophia, she's on E!'s tv show Scouted, and of course, editor at large of Nylon Magazine. Keep reading to find out Dani's style motto, skincare secrets, and tips on breaking into the industry!


KT: Where are you from?
DS: New York City, born and raised!

KT: How do you describe your style?

DS: Eclectic, I don’t really think I have one style. My motto is always fashion is fun. One day a lady and the next day a rockstar!

KT: Did you grow up with fashion or how did you get into it?

DS: I have a mother and I had a grandmother who are both fashionistas. My mother is a vintage jewelry collector, specifically earrings. She has an extraordinary collection of Hermes bags so I grew up a real bag snob. I have been fortunate enough to dig into her goodies as I have grown more responsible (laughs). I have always been surrounded by fashion so I just carry the torch.

KT: Where do you like to shop?

DS: I shop everywhere and anywhere. I think it’s a very Nylon 
philosophy, high/low..I think it’s all about pieces, combining things, and how you wear it. I love to shop at Barneys, obviously Torn by Ronny Kobo, and I've recently become obsessed with Isabel Marant recently gotten into. I shop mostly when I travel.. and when I buy something it’s usually a piece that I wear a lot.. like that perfect black leather motorcycle jacket, a beautiful blazer, or that coat of the season. I feel like the things I will probably be the most noticed in I don’t typically buy because I won't get a lot of wear out of it.

KT: Do you shop online??

DS: I am starting to convert into the online shopper. I am a big fan 
of this new site called  “AHALife” it’s a very chic site and also “Feyt” and that’s a new site that is launching..

KT: What is your favorite piece from your closet?

DS: … I love my closet (laughs). I love my leather jacket collection, specifically my Balenciaga orange leather jacket.. moving into Spring 
I love this amazing Ashish dress I have, I love my Rosette shouldered Valentino jacket.

KT: Where do you like to go on vacation? Favorite spot?
DS: I just came back from the Cove at the Atlantis in the Bahamas. It is the perfect quick get-away there! The Atlantis is a little touch of Vegas but the Cove totally takes you out of that. I went with my best friend Charlotte Ronson and we had the best time ever!


KT: What kind of music do you listen
to?

DS: I love to listen to all kinds of music, I am constantly looking for new music.. like everyone else I am kind of having that electronic 
dance music vibe right now. I love to go running in the park to it. I recently went and saw The Black Keys and it was the most amazing performance. I also really love 90’s grunge... give me a little Alice in Chains anytime.

KT: What is the best gift you have ever received?

DS: Love.

KT: Do you do sports?

DS: I do, I play tennis. I am very active... I like my power walking in my MBT’s..haha, do you know what those are?

KT: Yes!

DS: I recently found this class I am WILDLY obsessed with it’s called 
Figure 4 - it’s at Pure Yoga. I am also a big fan of core fusion at Exhale.

KT: Do you read blogs?

DS: If I’m on them... (laughs) You know.. I need to be more blog 
savvy.. But I'm really getting there - in a constant scour of the net for new material. It’s all about the immediacy right now and there is so much information out there..but I honestly get most of my
information from Twitter- I am a twitteraholic!

KT: Do you read magazines? Which ones?

DS: Yes! Nylon of course.. I have been there since the beginning so it’s really a part of my DNA. I love Vogue and I love Elle I love what they have done with Marie Claire.. I love reading Cosmo on the 
airplane...secretly of course with all that sexy content! I thoroughly
enjoy Hamptons magazine in the summer. And when it comes to European mags - British Vogue, Pop, iD.. And then Japanese mags etc. - I'm in heaven. Love the aesthetic, love the different points of view. Love it all. I'm a real magazine junkie through & through.

KT: Where do you like to eat?
DS: Organic Avenue. It’s amazing I go there all the time. I have changed my eating tremendously in the past year.

KT: Where do you like to go on a date?

DS: The last date I went on we went to Acme. The other one was a restaurant name Alta.. he chose. Sometimes it’s best when they choose. Oh and a really good place for a date is Raouls.

KT: Do you have a beauty routine?

DS: I am obsessed with skin care- I am a Mario Badescu girl all the way- I am dedicated to Irena, my facial girl. I turned Ronny onto it also, the vitamin C serum..the glycolic toner, all of the face masks are amazing. It’s so important, skin care is key! I am so obsessed I am reading a book right now called Forever Young by Dr. Perricone. It’s about the effects of food on your body. The saying you are what you eat is really true.

KT: What is your to go to outfit?

DS: My Chanel ballet flats, my J Brand jeans, a leather moto jacket and Ronny’s Torn tshirts, I can’t live without!

KT: Do you wear jewelry on a daily basis?
DS: I do. Certain pieces I rarely take off. I have this vintage coin ring that I got from designer Jill Heller. I wear my Father’s Rolex it’s very sentimental to me. I always wear black rubber rings. I recently discovered a company Due Punti that makes silicone rings w little diamonds that I love. But as a jewelry designer - I ALWAYS wear LIA SOPHIA!

KT: Who are your favorite designers?

DS: Chanel. Karl Lagerfeld was on the top of my list of the people I want to meet and I recently got to meet him. I’m always so inspired by his work. Valentino and Ralph Lauren..always love a cable knit or a 
Ricky bag. I love the simplicity of Calvin Klein. I love Prada and Miu Miu. Always a Miu Miu girl. I love any bag from YSL and YSL in general. I just watched the documentary “L'amour Fou” it was so sad! I never knew about the tremendous, overwhelmingly impressive art collection!

KT: What inspires you as an editor/designer?

DS: Anxiety! (laughs) but i’m always trying to change that.. I have recently discovered meditation though so I think it’s helping!

KT: Do you have any advice for young people trying to break into the fashion industry?

DS: Internships, internships, internships!! I interned starting at Elle Magazine when I was a sophomore at NYU. That was it, that was how I worked my way through. I worked as an assistant at Rachel Zoe, I assisted at Vogue, I assisted at Elle, you have to be willing to do the stuff you don’t want to do to in order to be able to do the stuff you want to do. I always tell my assistants that.

No comments:

Post a Comment