Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A: Growing up in New York City and attending a variety schools do you find that your style has evolved as you have gotten older? 

I definitely think that style evolves as you grow older no matter who you are. Growing up in New York we had so many amazing style icons!
The older I got the more classic I actually got with my style. I love trends but I would never buy something that wasn’t perfectly fitting just because I liked it. It has to be wearable for the next however many years. I really believe there is a common element in fashion, and that’s what I look for.  


A: Are you influenced by trends from the past?


C:  There are certain aspects of reverence to the past that I love like the good things that happened in the 80s.  I wore a shirt with MINI shoulder pads the other night, it’s the timeless things that will still look good in 20s years, that’s what I steal from my moms closet. I still have my great grandmothers furs. It’s really all about putting together something that represents who you are. 

A: Do your personal interests influence your style choices? I remember you were into sports journalism.

C: Yes I wanted to be a sports journalist SO badly. It’s fun though because your interests definitely influence your style in terms of what you are doing. I remember tailgating at the University of Southern California for football games. All the girls would wear their “Go Trojan” stuff and their USC sweats and everything. Not me. I would wear red jeans with a yellow Lacoste shirt and gold flats, that was my own spin on being a Trojan. Everyone used to laugh about that. 

A: Now that you are at Harvard do you find that you have toned down your fashion for Boston versus New York?

C: As a New Yorker I’ve always been taught to veer to the overdressed side. Its really interesting though, I remember my first week there I went out with tights underneath shorts in high heels and people were like, ok who is this person? But I mean you can be yourself in any city and just tone it down when you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment